Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Intro.

My journey to discover means of health and specifically natural health started at a young age. It was not a deliberate ploy of my parents or even a conscious effort, but probably more of a result of we were the type of people who didn't really go to the doctor. Not that we had anything against medicine or doctors, but we have five kids in my family and I was second to the oldest and always getting hurt. I remember times when probably most people would rush their child to the ER or doctor to get x-rays done, but not us...we were a "wait and see" family. And there is NOTHING wrong with that. I remember a particular time when I was out in our garage and a heavy metal vise fell on my barefoot. I was probably about 13 and it hurt. There was blood. Fighting back the tears I limped inside and yelled "Mom I dropped a vise on my foot". My mother looked at me and said "what do you want me to do about it". So I limped into my bedroom and dealt with it. Little did my mom know she was helping to instill in me the mindset that the body is an amazing self-healing organism.

Fast forward to the present. I am currently a practicing Chiropractor and I will soon be a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner. The thing that I love about Chiropractic and Functional Medicine is they are both build on THE PRINCIPLE of health and healing and whether or not you realize it, you already know what that principle is. Have you ever gotten a cut? Have you ever gotten a sore throat? I bet your body healed didn't it? I also bet that you didn't have to sit around and consciously think about the cut healing or the sore throat to going away. I believe our bodies are designed to be healthy, and that is one of the main components of The Principle of Health, but you need things both from within and proper resources from the outside. Have you ever stopped to think "what is disease"? Is disease a certain set of symptoms or is it the body's inability to adapt to itself or its environment. If you have a head cold, its not because you're nose is full of mucus, but rather it is because your body is trying to adapt and rid itself to the germs in your sinuses and throat. Our bodies are always fighting to return to normal function. I love finding the cause. That is what good doctors do. It makes no sense to me to suppress the body when it is trying to heal...rather we should invest in our bodies with good things that boost its function. So, what is Principled Health? In its simplest form, it is eliminating a cause and providing a means. There is one thing all of my patients have in common and it is they all want to get better and be healthy. Do you? 

In this blog, I will be writing health articles, discussing philosophy of health, and sharing stories from my experiences practice. I am excited to share with anyone who is willing to read and wants to learn, and never hesitate to email me.

Dr. Matthew Palladino
matthewjpalladino@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment